What we do
Services we provide:
- Information, referral & advocacy
- Crisis intervention
- Referral to crisis housing & shelters
- Emotional support
- Support to sustain tenancies
- Link to a range of broader assistance
- Support services for children
The aim of this service is to assist families who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
The service aims to provide support for families to transition out of homelessness into housing, or to provide support to prevent homelessness by using funds to either stabilise housing or to rapidly re- house families.
Temporary Accommodation for homeless families
FEAT has 31 units of temporary accommodation in Townsville. We provide assistance & support to help people get back on their feet. Properties are independent living either houses or units in the suburbs of Townsville .We charge rent based on the family income and our units and houses are furnished. Whilst in FEAT Temp Housing you will have a Community Worker who assists to locate sustainable housing and connect to services that can assist. Together you and the worker will draw up a case plan outlining what needs to happen.
The Mobile Support Program aims to assist families who are at risk of homelessness to sustain their housing in private, public and social tenancies.
The program will provide support to families who have secured an appropriate housing option and who require support to maintain this housing.
Long Term Housing
FEAT Has 23 Social Housing properties – these are long term accommodation and eligibility is through the Dept. Housing register/ wait list. Rent is based on your family income – the same as in Public Housing, our properties do have some furniture and we provide limited support for tenants in this program.
We also have 2 other houses that provide longer term housing – these are unfunded, but we use the same rent calculation and they are generally furnished.
The FEAT No Interest Loan Scheme provides small loans to any low income person who has the capacity to repay. There is no interest charged and our program focuses on loans to purchase whitegoods & furniture. This scheme has been established by NAB Bank & Good Shepherd Community Services. Click here to read more.
Click here to download brochure
Upper Ross Emergency Relief
FEAT is part of a collective of 7 services that provide practical assistance to low income people who are living in the Upper Ross. Each Wednesday morning a FEAT community Worker & a worker from one of the other services distribute food vouchers from the Upper Ross Community Centre in Allambie Lane. This is limited assistance through an appointment only system by contacting the FEAT office. Funds for this service are provided through Dept. of Social Security.
- MAKE AN APPOINTMENTCall to book in an appointment with our friendly and understanding staff.
- LONG TERM HOUSINGFEAT Has 25 Social Housing properties for long term accommodation, eligibility is through the Dept. Housing wait list
- HOMELESSSNESS SERVICESThe service aims to provide support for families to transition out of homelessness into housing.
- NILS LOANSThe FEAT No Interest Loan Scheme provides small loans to any low income person who has the capacity to repay.